Tuesday, April 26, 2011

paperwork oh my

After reading through my welcome handbook and volunteer description, I whole-heartedly decided to accept my invitation for service in the United States Peace Corps.

It is crazy to think that three years ago this was just an idea.... and now it's actually happening!

On the downside..... this paperwork they ask invites to fill out for VISA/ Passports is kinda ridiculous and in my hectic and stress filled last weeks of undergraduate study.... government papers are the last things I want to deal with. I think I got it taken care of, but they should really think about explaining some of that stuff better.

To Do list (academic/PC):
Begin/ finish aspiration statement
Contact Student loan lender
Financial Aid exit interview
French dissertation
Send out Visa/Passport applications

For anyone who is interested or looking to see what kind of stuff to put on their PC resumes, I'll post mine below:


Crystal Marie Kazik
Cameroon
September 2011


EXPERIENCE
2010-2011 AIDS Resource Center of Wisconsin- Eau Claire, WI
Volunteer and Prevention Intern- 130 hours
Understanding and learning to communicate basic HIV/AIDS and STD information
Facilitating prevention groups in correctional & Alcohol and Drug treatment facilities

Understanding the social, political, biological, and economic factors that play into an individual’s risk of transmitting or contracting HIV/AIDS, Hepatitis ABC, STD’s

Learning to facilitate pre- & post- HIV test counseling, client risk assessment, and running clean needle exchange programs

Maintaining a positive and supportive attitude towards individuals who may be suffering from effects of this epidemic


[July, August 2009] Nicaragua Study Abroad Program
Lived in a poverty stricken/ rural community for one week

Taught parasite education and handed out parasite medication to residents (in Spanish)

Helped school children with homework

Interacted with the community by teaching American customs/ games (UNO, Phase 10), teaching children English (informally), dancing/ singing, and helping the families cook and clean

DEGREE
[2007-2011] University of Wisconsin- Eau Claire; Eau Claire, WI
Bachelor of the Arts in Women’s Studies
Double concentration in French and Sociology
Graduated Cum Laude


TRAINING/ EDUCATION
[2011] HIV Foundations 1 Training hours- 8
[2011] Dismantling Racism workshop hours- 16
[2011] Safe Space LGBTQ awareness training hours- 1

Conservation of the Environment credits- 3
Human Sexual Biology credits- 3
Environmental and Public Health credits- 3
Traveler’s Health & Wellness credits- 1
Feminist Economics credits- 6

Computer Competencies:
High level of skill in Microsoft Office applications
Trained in using the following programs: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Final Cut Express (Macintosh)

FOREIGN LANGUAGES
Bachelor of the Arts in French (liberal arts)
Intermediate and conversational to professional written and oral skill
[2007] Visited France: lived with host family and toured country- 1 week


PERSONAL HOBBIES/INTERESTS
Digital photography
Music & Dance
Politics/ Social movements
Gardening (floral & vegetable)
Feminist pedagogy
Reading

2 comments:

  1. I agree with your expression of frustration with some of the paperwork sent with the invitation by PC in the BBP. The passport paperwork is especially confusing. I resorted to calling the number in the instructions and after to doing so, and the result was that in addition to feeling frustrated I also felt embarrassed for having called. Then, I overcame my reluctance to include my existing passport with the paperwork and shipped it all to PC. I tracked it through the UPS website and know that it was delivered, but now have no assurance from PC that my passport is really going to be waiting along with a new PC passport for me at Staging. Other frustrations stem from the fact that PC did not provide any helpful suggestions as to the timing of completion of all of the other paperwork.
    We'll just have to console ourselves with the knowledge that previous invitees got through this process satisfactorily.
    The nicest thing PC did was to send the paperwork in tabbed file folders so that we can keep things in some semblance of order.
    Best wishes as you wrap up your academic requirements.

    ReplyDelete