Sunday, September 18, 2011

2


2 days.

That's all I have left in this place I call 'home'. 3 days left in the United States. It all happened so fast, and yet time passed ever so slowly as I waited for this moment to come.

I have been spending the past few weeks saying my goodbyes, giving hugs, hosting parties, and telling others about my soon to be adventures (a countless number of times). People ask a range of questions, always involving "are you excited/ nervous?" , "what do your parents think, do they think you're crazy?", and "oh my god two years, that is such a long time, how will you handle it?"

I feel excited. I'm not nervous. I've been waiting and preparing for the Peace Corps for technically: a year (application process; interview to departure) and really: about three years (researching/ deciding if it was for me). So it's about time that I get the opportunity to see what this is all about.

I think I'll enjoy myself, I think it truly will be as the slogan says it is "the toughest job you'll ever love". I'm approaching it in quite a realistic manner, I know it's not going to be easy, I know it's going to be a roller coaster. I KNOW I'm going to be happy, sad, scared, nervous, unsure, elated, proud, etc- but I cant wait to feel all of that. I've been alive for 22 years but I have a feeling that the Peace Corps will truly make me feel alive, on the tip of my toes, and open my eyes to a whole new set of experiences.

I want to thank all of my friends and especially my family for supporting me through this entire process. I know I have my moody moments in the midst of frustration and stress- but you never gave up on me and my decision to take a hiatus on "normality" and run away to Africa for two years. It may seem like a long time, but it will (probably) pass quickly- and you'll never be out of my heart nor mind. I love you all!!! :)

This is a once in a lifetime opportunity. I'm taking it and running. Where will I end up next? (that is what is exciting to think about- that abyss of endless possibility}

I'm not the best with goodbyes but I will miss you all very much.

Keep in touch and I'll let you know 'how goes it' en Afrique.
Feel free to keep the questions coming, I want to relay as much information about Cameroon and my experience abroad as possible. I can write about whatever in any post, but I want to know what YOU ALL want to know too :)


Till next time.







[check it]

1 comment:

  1. girlll...you just made me cry!
    love you sooo much!!
    and soooo freaking excited for you!

    <3

    ReplyDelete