I am sitting in a hotel room in New Orleans, La. Resting my foot (a freak blister accident) and listening to Mumford & Sons before heading out for a jazz bar and mojitos with some amazing people. This trip has been.... amazing. I thought I knew so much about the Civil Rights Movement and race relations in the U.S prior to this week, and I have been blown out of the water. The stories I have read about, people who have told their first hand accounts of their struggle in the attainment of justice, and the intense emotions felt have been.... life changing. What a great way to spend my last spring break as an undergraduate. This week has pushed me and shown me that I am on the right path in life and although I have been on a roller coaster this past year, I finally am feeling content. I just want to let the people know who I have hurt along the way know that I am sorry and I know that leaving you may have been a selfish step but one that will be good for us in the long run. I miss you and think about you daily, but the passion and intense pull towards peace, understanding, and education is like a drug for me. I am inspired by so many, but I just want to thank my family for supporting me and for all of those leaders/activists/average people who stood up for what was right- you are all amazing.
The thought of going back to school for the final month and a half seems unbearable. Not only do I have a documentary to shoot/edit/present (the film will be about HIV/AIDS & Prison culture stigma- and how they shape prevention/ outreach work) but I have to wrap up the last four years of my life. Say goodbye to friends, get those degrees, pack & move on out! I am scared, I am exhilarated, I am lost.... I can't wait.
No matter what happens (meaning with PC), I am confident in the fact that I will find a fulfilling yet challenging life for myself. Bring It.
[but first Bourbon Street :D]
No comments:
Post a Comment